Menu Home Call Us Locations Email Us
Tillman & Associates, Attorneys at Law

April 2016 Archives

Are you paying attention to ergonomics at work?

Did you know that a workplace injury doesn't always come from an accident such as a fall or explosion? In fact, you could experience a workplace injury from long-term computer or desk work even if nothing traumatic happens to you. These injuries, which could impact your arms, wrists, hands, shoulders or back, are called repetitive motion injuries or repetitive use injuries. One common example is called carpal tunnel.

Using nail guns safely on construction jobs

Construction workers use a lot of tools to get jobs done fast and well. In many cases, proper use of these tools can actually increase safety on the job, but when tools are used improperly, they increase overall risks of accident or injury.

Considering Social Security disability benefits

Over the past weeks, we've covered a lot of information about workers' compensation coverage and what you should do if you are injured on the job. But what happens if you are injured and it wasn't part of your job? While you might have medical coverage or automobile insurance that helps to pay for expenses such as medical bills and temporary lost wages, do you know what to do if you are unable to work long-term because of an injury or disability?

Do you have a repetitive motion injury?

When we think of construction workplace accidents, we often think of incidents involving tools or falls. But a large number of employee injuries in such environments are actually musculoskeletal disorders that develop from repetitive motion injuries or strains and sprains. Some examples of MSDs include tendinitis, carpal tunnel syndrome and bursitis.

Maximizing workers’ compensation benefits

Workers' compensation plans are very different from other types of insurance plans which might cover injuries to third parties. Car insurance or homeowners' insurance, for example, typically includes liability coverage that might cover expenses associated with someone who was injured due to the negligence of a car or home owner. These types of payments sometimes include compensation for pain and suffering, which is something workers' compensation plans don't do.